We all want to be happy. Did you know there are steps we can take to be happier? Here's how:
1. Invest time in your family and friends.
Studies have shown that strong family ties reduce rates of depression, suicide and stress, and may even help you live longer.
Happiness action steps: Create family ritual such as a weekly family meal or an annual vacation, and schedule an afternoon playing golf or wine tasting with friends.
2. Find your purpose.
Happy people have a reason to get up in the morning, are able to live their values and use their skills and talents to fuel their passions in their professions, the community and their personal lives.
Happiness action step: What's your "WHY"? If you are not sure ask:
- When do I feel fulfilled or happiest?
- When do I feel that I am maximizing my full potential?
- What do I want my life to look like in a year? Five years? Ten years?
3. Have faith. Spiritual people tend to be happier than non-spiritual people and may even deal with setbacks better. Additionally, having faith helps people find perspective.
Happiness action step: Take a few minutes each day be still and be grateful.
4. Get your financial house in order. The happiest people many not be rich, but they have enough money to be comfortable. Take control of your finances, and put the stress to rest.
Happiness action steps: Create a spending plan that accounts for all of your income and expenses; make a plan to get out of debt; and enroll in an automatic savings or investment plan.
5. Exercise, and eat right. Exercise releases endorphins, the ultimate mood booster. Eating a healthy diet full of vegetables, fruit, beans and nuts has been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
Happiness action steps: Take a walk during your lunch hour, or attend Evolve Physical Therapy's one-on-one personal training classes or 50 Shades of Grace group functional fitness classes. You will experience amazing results! Write a shopping list that includes healthy foods and shop the perimeter of the store...all the bad stuff is down the aisles!
Thank you Scott Smerud for this.
Quote of the Day
"You are always only one choice away from changing your life."